Do you believe in the power of collaborative journalism to make underreported stories told and underrepresented voices heard? Are you passionate about helping journalists to investigate more easily across borders?
The journalism network Hostwriter – connecting more than 4,500 journalists from 150+ countries – is expanding and we are looking for a dedicated, motivated Executive Assistant (female/male/non-binary) to join our team in Berlin, Germany. We care about team diversity and explicitly encourage members of minority groups to apply.
As the result of a successful initial fundraising round, we have secured donor agreements with clear goals, milestones and timelines that will define our work in the next three years. This is what we will focus on:
- Enabling and amplifying more „success stories“ by our members.
- Increasing the network’s trustworthiness by implementing additional digital security tools suitable for investigative journalism collaborations.
- Diversifying Hostwriter’s revenue streams by growing a community of supporters.
To back up our CEO and allow her to focus on strategy and sustainability, the Hostwriter team is excited to start collaborating with an Executive Assistant that takes over administrative responsibilities and helps the team members find creative ways to best reach our goals – similar to a „Scrum Master“ who is constantly looking for ways to improve and empower the team in its mission.
- Acting as first point of contact for the office (answering phones; scheduling meetings with partners; opening, sorting and distributing executive mails, letters and other correspondence.)
- Working collaboratively with the Hostwriter team, contributing to a positive and constructive working environment.
- Organizing and monitoring work schedules (from weekly sprint boards to quarterly overviews), following-up that deadlines are met.
- Proactively initiating workshops and brainstorming sessions as needed, being responsive towards the needs of the team.
- Preparing narrative and financial reports, presentations, invoices letters, and other documents (based on existing templates from previous years).
- Performing basic bookkeeping tasks and authorizing financial payments (in collaboration with the Hostwriter accountant).
Providing general administrative tasks (travel bookings, etc.)
Skills and experience
- Previous administrative experience is a plus, but it’s no „Rocket Science“ and can be learned on the job, as long as the applicant is genuinely interested.
- Ability to organize a daily workload by priorities.
- A proactive approach to creative problem-solving.
- Interest in working collaboratively with a team in a „start-up setting“.
- Understanding of relevant software (MS Office or iWork suite).
- Professional level verbal and written communications skills in English, solid communication skills in German.
- Interest in collaborative journalism and the role it plays in strengthening societies across borders.
Hostwriter supports journalists at all career levels to raise the quality of media coverage by providing local contacts around the globe. We see cross-border journalism as a tool to overcome national bias and prejudice, ultimately contributing toward better informed, more accountable and democratic societies.
The network was founded as a non-profit organization in 2013 by the German ARD correspondent Tamara Anthony and freelance journalists Tabea Grzeszyk (German National Radio) and Sandra Zistl (Welt-group). Since 2016, Hostwriter has received institutional support by the Dutch Adessium Foundation. In 2018, Hostwriter won the Jury Prize in the Google Impact Challenge Germany. Our first book „Unbias the News. Why diversity matters for journalism“ was launched in 2019 in cooperation with CORRECTIV.
Location: Hostwriter is based in Berlin-Neukölln. While we are open to flexible working hours and a regular home office day (e.g. to help support parents and carers), this role will require you to be in the office regularly for in-person meetings.
Contract: This is a part-time contract, starting with a salary of 2.500 Euros brutto per month (with weekly hours depending on experience).
Closing date: Please send your CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 30, 2019.