We’re looking for a finance assistant to join our team!
The starting date for this position is 01.05.2023. The role is based in Berlin, and is to be filled as soon as possible. The initial contract will be one day per week, 20.5 EUR per hour brutto. The deadline is rolling.
We are Hostwriter gUG (www.hostwriter.org), an award-winning network that helps journalists easily collaborate across borders. We are also the publisher of the feminist cross-border Newsroom “Unbias the News” (www.unbiasthenews.org). As a small but very international team of 5, we create a space for journalists experiencing structural barriers in the media and raise the quality of media coverage by providing nuanced, local, and cross-border perspectives.
From the 1st of May onwards we are looking for a finance & admin all-rounder to support our team.
Tasks & Responsibilities
Grant reporting 32%
- Administration of German and EU grants
- Monthly overview of project expenses and grant stands
- Preparation of finance sheets and reports for funders and authorities Cash flow and finance forecasting
- Support of the Managing Directors; budgeting and preparation of contracts
Preparatory bookkeeping 50%
- Processing & filing of invoices
- Updating of the bookkeeping sheet, shared with the tax advisor
- Appropriate labeling of expenses according to type & project
- Team reimbursements
Office administration 18 %
- Office maintenance:, contact with cleaners and keeping office supplies up to date
- Arranging flights and accommodation for traveling team members
We expect high proficiency in excel, G-suite, and experience in finance controlling. The perfect candidate has high reliability, a talent for organization, and is enthusiastic about working in a highly multicultural and international setting. We are looking for a self-starter, with big bonus points for experience with EU project administration, German grant-making skills, and project and/or event coordination.
The position is currently one day a week, however, we expect it to successively grow into a part-time engagement by the end of the year, potentially expanding the scope of responsibilities to include project and event management. We are open to different types of work agreements (Freelance, Employment, Mini-job, Student contract). We can only accept applicants with a legal right to work in Germany.
While the working language is English, proficiency in German (B2-C1) is required in order to communicate with external providers such as the tax advisor, bank, and payroll officer. Working days are flexible but a minimum of half a day of work a week at the office is expected. Our office is located right next to the Karl-Marx U-Bahn station and has a terrace.
Please send your CV and a cover letter to email@example.com, outlining why you would like to work with us, why you are a good fit, and your previous experience in the field.